Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Home for the Holidays

It was in September, when I was probably the most homesick that Tom decided going home for Christmas this year was probably something he couldn't get out of.  The past 2 Christmases we spent in San Diego, away from our family and with a fair number of tears.  With "Happy Wife, Happy Life" sentiment in his heart, Tom ponied up the leave and substantial cost of airfare and before we knew it, we were on a plane heading to Charlotte, NC. 

Our flight from Munich to Newark, NJ was 10 hours and I felt every slow second pass.  Continental Airlines only had 9 channels with 4 movies on loops.  It was painful and generally, without much sleep.  We arrived, bleary eyed and cranky in Charlotte, 2 hours late and with considerable stench.  My sister, her husband and my dad were waiting at the airport with a sign that read "Keean Party Flash Mob" and noted how many people were murmuring "I think there's going to be a flash mob!"  This all started when I posted a T-mobile Flash Mob Video from Heathrow Airport and told my mom that we expected no less upon our return.  Haha! 



North Carolina has the nicest people on Earth.  There, I said it.  After being shoulder checked and nearly run off the road for 6 months in Naples, I felt like every person in Winston Salem was a long lost friend and had to suppress the urge to hug random people that we met in line.  Meeting my new niece, Amy Lynne, was probably the highlight of our entire trip.  She is that perfect little baby that will stare at you and giggle in such a way that convinces nearly every woman alive that she should immediately make a replica of this child and that parenthood is surely a breeze.  Both of my sisters were pros at getting her to quiet down on the all-too rare occasions when she cried.  It was such a thing to behold!  We played Hand and Foot, my favorite card game, did a puzzle and helped out the Winston-Salem economy with a LOT of shopping!  My closet will be so happy to greet the newest members of my wardrobe.  Make room, guys!

With yet another teary goodbye, I swear I'm more emotionally sound than this blog post will lead most to believe, we packed up our overflowing bags and headed to Newark, NJ to visit Tom's family.  For me, the best part was the evening that we spent near Lambertville, NJ at Peddler's Village.  It's kind of like stepping into a mini-Williamsburg, VA with shops and antiques but most importantly, tons of beautiful Christmas lights!  It made me smile and we had such a good time with our nephews, Gavin and Braden, and Tom's sister, Eileen.  We spent New Year's Eve at Eileen's house with almost all of the Keenan family, sharing tales of my near felony in Paris, the difficulties of Italian communication and teaching everyone the good, the bad and the strange of Italian hand gestures.  They are sure to be pros when they come visit us!

Before we knew it, we were back on a plane and across the ocean.  Despite lots of time in an airplane, we had such a great time being back in America and it helped me to regain my confidence.  To my family, both Nesselrodes and Keenans, I miss you terribly but cannot wait to show you all around Italy and explore more of Europe with you!  All are welcome to come visit us!! 

Love and hugs and a Happy and Healthy New Year to all y'all!

Lynne
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment