Sunday, November 20, 2011

Paris Is Always A Good Idea

A life long dream of mine has been to go to Paris.  So when our friends, Scott and Megan, planned a trip to the City of Lights, I was all too happy to join them!  Flights out of Naples are few and far between, so our time in Paris went by in a flash!



After touching down at Charles de Gaulle Airport, we hopped on the metro towards our hotel.  During our 45 minute ride, a gentleman in a lumberjack hat was yelling about the car.  At one point, Monsieur Lumberjack must have caught the inquisitive eye of a 16 year old passenger and proceeded to scream at said boy for a minute or so, until the kid turned bright red and stared out the window.  Monsieur Lumberjack spent the remainder of the trip spitting on the floor of the metro car no less than 100 times.  And the French are said to be so civilized!

At last we made it to our hotel!  We met up wtih Scott and Megan and strolled around the streets with them, grabbed some Greek food (my only requirement was that it not be Italian) and onward to the Eiffel Tower.   I squealed like a school girl at the sight I had on my wall in college.  "Are you going to study in Paris?"  Was the common question.  "No, I just really want to go there some day."  When standing beside, around or even in the distance, I couldn't help but sigh, squeal or grab Tom's arm to say "I am SO glad we're in Paris!"  Way to play it cool, Keenan.  What would Rick Steves say?

On Saturday, we walked and we walked and we walked.  From our accomodations near the Hotel des Invalides onward to the Seine (where we recalled the line from "Sabrina" about finding a bridge and listening to the river.  Though we didn't have coffee or a journal, we all spent a moment with intent ears on the river, hoping to gain some wisdom or inspiration) and then on to a cafe for breakfast.  My favorite meal in Paris was a ham, herb and cheese omlette.  It was so fluffy and delicious!  Mmmm! 

If the language barrier from English --> Italiano was difficult, the English --> Italiano --> Francese (French in Italian) was impossibly difficult!  'Oui' not 'si.'  'Bonjour' not 'Buon Giorno.'  What do you say when you want to pass someone?  To get the check?  To apologize for being an American?  I have spent 6 months getting used to being an idiot in Italy, it would take more than a few days to do the same in France!  Plus French is way less phonetic than Italian!  Auber, one of the metro stops, is actually pronounced "Aw-bear."  I felt my Americana showing...

On Saturday afternoon, after Notre Dame, hot baguettes on the street, the slightly overhyped hot chocolate at Angelina's, we happened upon a Christmas fair somewhere between the Lourve and Arc de Triomphe.  Stall after stall of vendor sold everything from cheese and hats to chocolate and Christmas Decor (two ornaments of which I almost accidentally stole when I was distracted by three Italian men struggling to ask for the white ornament.  "Bianca!"  "Italiano!" I called!  We were instant friends.  They were from Parma and just up for the weekend.  I was so proud that I could ask them how the weather was and how they liked Paris and told them that I live in Naples, blah blah blah.  Somewhere along the way, we said our goodbyes and I strolled off, completely forgetting about the French lady waiting for me to pay her!  She chased me down the street, where I was all too proudly relaying my tale of Italian friends to the group and politely asked me to either pay her or give the ornaments back.  "Oh my gosh!  I'm SO sorry!  What a spaz I am!"  [See earlier comments about both keeping cool and Rick Steves' judgement]).  A cup of "hot wine" helped to ease the complete shame of my near felony and Scott/Megan told me stories about "Locked Up: Abroad" as a cautionary tale to future theft.

And somehow, just like that, our time in Paris was over.  I cannot wait to go back, which I think we say after we leave every city, for a longer amount of time.  To see inside the Lourve, go up the Eiffel Tower, eat some more food... Add it to the list!  But for now, we've got our third cat arriving (fingers crossed) tomorrow from the States followed 24 hours later by my sister and her boyfriend for Thanksgiving.  Venice awaits our groups as does another day in Rome!  Things to do, things to see, wine to drink!  Onward and upward!

Lynne
xoxo

1 comment:

  1. "To move, to breathe, to fly, to float, To gain all while you give, To roam the roads of lands remote: To travel is to live." - Hans Christian Andersen

    Just so happened I was watching Amazing Race while you were running from French street vendors (wait...didn't we also have an issue with an Italian street (fruit) vendor?? I see a pattern here. heh.) and they had this quote. I love it. And you're living it!! Thank you for sharing your trip through Paris!

    ReplyDelete