Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Si, Si, Si!

And we're off!  With the Italian ground beneath our feet, Tom and I have slowly (ever so slowly) been adjusting to the time difference and culture shock.  With less than a week of ex-pat experience under our belts, we've already: gotten our driver's licenses, visited houses and had plenty of cappuccinos!  Mmmmmm

Our first experiences on base helped us to determine that yes, though this is an American base, there are still LOTS of Italians!  Italian conversations were flying around faster than the misquitoes (which was also a good lesson.  Yes, there are bugs in Italy.  Lesson learned)!  I approached the "bar" (not to be confused with the Coyote Ugly style bar that we think of as Americans, though Italian bars also serve alcohol) with the fear apparent in my eyes.  There were about 3 people standing at the bar with espresso (which is just called 'caffe'), so I assumed there was no line system based on watching "Eat, Pray, Love."  Note to self: movies like that are not helpful in determining the actual living practices of Italians.  It's true, I didn't read the book....  But I digress... So I was awkwardly standing alone at the end of the bar when a flood of Italians rushed the cashier at the other end of the bar and began ordering caffe with gusto.  Damn!  I'm not in line!  Now I strolled over and stood in line, but apparently not close enough in line to count.  The line began growing around me but not including me.  Finally, I somehow got to the cashier, probably because everyone had already been served, and ordered 2 cappuccinos to go.  But I was nervous and obviously botched the delivery because when one came out and I bastardized it by adding Sweet and Low (not proper etiquette but, I like it sweet) and then stood around, the barista gave me a very nervous look.  "Va bene??  Is good??"  It was at this point, and thinking back that "due grande cappuccini" was only $1.40 that I relized that I had probably only paid for one.  "Si!  Va bene!"  I said in my most broken, half-hearted uncomfortable, awkward self.  My level of awkward in normal life, it's probably safe to say, is around a 4.  Maybe I'm being kind.  But, add the language barrier, exceedingly tight pants and shiny espresso machines and it went up to a solid 8.  The woman probably thought that I haven't left the house in months.  Ugh!

Over the weekend, we went to look at property with our newest friends, Tina and Glenn.  They brought us around with their realtor, Enzo, to a number of properties in Monte di Procida, about 35 minutes from where Tom and I will be working.  The apartments all looked like nothing special and then you went inside and WOAH!  It looked like we had just walked into a NYC Penthouse!  Every kitchen was brand new, bathrooms and bidets shining before us and views of the ocean that took my breath away.  I was remembering that Tom's sister had told me before we left the states that she was expecting a "crumbly house like the ones on House Hunters International."  While the outsides were plenty crumbly, I don't know if any of the ones we saw fit her bill.  We're still on the hunt for a new place.  Nothing firmed up yet. 

So much has happened that I feel like my camera just hasn't caught up.  This coming week, my dear friend, Kristine, and I are traveling to Amalfi, Sorrento and Capri.  She's quite the traveler, so I'll have to push my awkward scale aside and move forward with reckless abandon!

Please drop me an email!  We have a number through Skype for calls from the States and I can give you our  mailing address!

Love and hugs to all back home!
Lynne
xoxo

Ciao!

1 comment:

  1. I just tried to comment, clearly I have to learn how... You are right! I saw the pictures and the places you have been looking at look nothing like House Hunters International! Sounds like quite an adventure so far! I can't wait to come and visit next summer when you guys are speaking fluent Italian and know all of the hot spots! ;)
    <3 Meghan

    ReplyDelete